Friday, February 14, 2014

Steampunk House #1 snow layers

Snow layers are in progress (see below).

After some consideration, this model isn't going to be called "Steampunk House #1" and I'll very likely be splitting it up into multiple kits in order to get the most mileage out of this basic model shape. I'm thinking about releasing a fantasy/medieval version, a ready-to-print Rake's Corner version, a steampunk version, a PSD Photoshop file kitbasher's version, and possibly a snowy version that will be part of a Winter Village set. This is all tentative, but I think it's the best way to go.

It's a big shift in my approach to packaging these things, since my earlier Rake's Corner models and Winter Edition models were afterthoughts. I would crack open the files of an older model and make alterations to them. In this case, I'm doing all of the layer work at once, and will figure out how to split things up into different themes at a roughly $5 price point for each. I figure that folks who just want a fantasy/medieval model won't want to pay for steampunk layers they won't use, and so on.

But it's also good for me artistically. Since I know that I'll be able to get about $20 of sellable product from this one kit, I no longer have the ticking clock in my head that I normally get when working on something that I know I can only sell for about $5. (The truth is that no one will pay $10-$15 for a PDF paper model kit this size, although I think that's closer to what this amount of work is actually worth, especially considering the multiple texture layers.) Doing things this way is freeing me up to add all of the graphics I really want to work on, instead of feeling like I have to stop when I feel like it's no longer commercially sensible.


No comments:

Post a Comment